Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Saints Nation: Saints Getting Distracted?

I don't know about you guys, but the constant book tours that Drew Brees and Sean Payton have done seem to be getting ridiculous. Throw those on top of all the other tours and activities around the country and I'm starting to get a little worried about the constant distractions. I know once training camp starts that will all stop, but it's not like they get to rest. I don't like the number of activities they've set before themselves during a time traditionally reserved for rest. I heard one report that Brees has signed over 20,000 copies of his book in the last month. Divide that number by about 100 and I'd be having serious cramps in my throwing hand. It's not like Payton hasn't been busy either. These tours have gone all over the country, and they're coming to an end right at the start of training camp. Brees and Payton especially, but a number of the Saints also, have been burning the candle at both ends. I'm a little concerned to be honest that their faces keep popping up in the news during the offseason. The offseason is a time for rest and recharging. Instead, Brees is taking trips to sit in a chair and sign books for four hours at a time, Afghanistan to visit troops, New York to do Letterman, etc etc... I'm not complaining about the terrific exposure the Saints are getting around the country, but is Brees guy capable of saying no to anyone? Based on what he's been doing I can't imagine he's turned down a single request. I respect him for that, but at some point the constant obliging of requests has to weigh on his mental and physical energy. The guy is a human being, not a robot. At some point it just gets to be too much. When do they reach that point? If they haven't then I'd venture that they're getting ridiculously close. I'm probably just freaking out because camp is near and I know everyone is gunning for the Saints, but I think it's tough to go into a season ready when you have had a chance to reboot. The season is already under way and it's time to focus on the future. I wish the team had had a chance to enjoy winning the championship in a more relaxed setting away from distractions, but that hasn't been the case. Hopefully it won't come back to haunt them.