Monday, October 12, 2009

Saints Nation: Giants @ Saints setting up to be a monster showdown


The Giants will come to New Orleans on Sunday with a perfect 5-0 record, making for a early showdown with major implications. While you might think to yourself "we're 4-0, it's not a huge deal if we lose one here", I beg to differ. If the ultimate goal is the SuperBowl, this is a must for the Saints. It's clear the Giants will be competition down the stretch for homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. This would be a crucial tiebreaker to own, unless you guys feel like going through New York in January sounds like a feasible path to glory. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Saints' roster is not built to win games in harsh weather. That's not to say they can't, but they're built to play their best under clear conditions, and so playing at home in the dome when the stakes are at their highest is their best chance to go far. And before you tell me "hey they beat Buffalo and Philly on the road", those games were won in September. I'm not saying that losing this game will cost us the season, and I'm not saying the Saints can't rebound from a subpar performance (should that happen). I am saying this game is crucial for possible playoff seeding down the road, and this would be a major step towards the Saints putting themselves in a favorable position to succeed. There's going to be games the Saints can afford to lose down the road this season, but I believe this is NOT one of them. Should the Saints lose, this will be a hole they'll need to climb out of. Geaux Saints! I've got a little Q&A with a Giants blog going - so check back later for their thoughts on the matchup.