Thursday, March 11, 2010

Saints Nation: More Jake Delhomme?


Just when you thought you had had enough of Jake Delhomme (pictured), it looks like we could be getting more. Delhomme is scheduled to come visit with the Saints according to Nola.com. He'll be in New Orleans this weekend to visit with team officials. I hate to say it, but I saw this one coming from a mile away. With Brunell inching closer to 40, I figured the Saints would want a veteran backup they can trust. It should be interesting to see how this one plays out. Because he's been cut, he wouldn't cut against the Saints' ability to sign a free agent (made possible by Scott Fujita's departure). There's no chance at this point in his career that Delhomme will get an offer to start anywhere, so why not come back to a town he knows very well that's close to home? Oh, and the Saints represent a good chance for him to get a SuperBowl ring, too. It's a remarkably good fit for all sides involved and I really do believe a deal will happen. Can't say I love it, either, because his history with the Panthers post New Orleans has really soured me on the guy. All things considered, though, if Delhomme is healthy from his injuries I believe he represents an upgrade over Brunell as a #2 quarterback.

In other news, word around town is also that the Saints are hosting New Orleans native and former St. Louis Ram James Hall, and a deal between the two sides could be imminent. Hall would likely be first in line to replace Charles Grant as a starter on the defensive line. While his signing wouldn't leave me enamored, I can't imagine Hall would represent much of a drop off from Grant.